UOW PULSE NEWS
Presentation of UOW UniLife & Sports Awards
UOW Pulse have celebrated the contributions and achievements of students in the non-academic side of university life at the 2018 UniLife & UOW Sports Awards.
The UniLife awards recognise the contributions of clubs and volunteers in creating a positive and dynamic university campus experience. The annual Sports Award acknowledge and celebrate the achievements of UOW Sports Clubs, sports teams and student athletes; including the prestigious Sports Person of the Year award which will this year be awarded to former Illawarra Hawk and UOW Student, Nicholas Kay.
“The awards provide the opportunity to celebrate the achievements of students representing the university outside of the classroom be it on the sports field or in a student club,” said Monica Millar, Head of Marketing & Communications, UOW Pulse.
“We also thank and acknowledge the efforts of students who volunteer their time to support events and programs. Their contribution to creating an enriching university experience for their peers is invaluable.”
The 2018 Volunteer of the Year, Kate Nyhan, has volunteered over 85 hours this year to UOW UniLife events and programs as well as community programs including the Cancer Council Illawarra and AIME Mentoring.
The following awards were presented on the night:
UniClubs Awards 2018:
- Club of the Year: CABLE (Chinese Academic Business & Learning Education)
- Club Person of the Year: Sean Thorpe (Video Game Association)
- Event of the Year: Expand Gong 3 – UOW Video Game Association
- New Club of the Year: UOW Aerospace
- Student Development Award: UOW Mathematics Society
- Campus Engagement Award: UOW Red Cross Club
UniLife Volunteering Awards 2018:
- Volunteer of the Year: Kate Nyhan
- Community Volunteering Group: Cancer Council Illawarra
- Active Tribe Volunteer: Mohamad Zoubai
- Enviro Warrior Volunteer: Suchi Kalluri
- Events Crew Volunteer: Stephanie Paraide
- Community Volunteer: Soutara Potter
- Campus Buddies: Zoe Correa
UOW Sport Awards 2018
- University Blue Recipients: Takunda Chimwaza (Rugby), Callum Mackay (Hockey), Daine Richards (Hockey), William Orth (Hockey), Joshua Ward (Taekwondo)
- University Colours Recipients: Sean Thorpe (Volleyball), Brandon Dyson (Hockey)
- Sports Person of the Year: Nicholas Kay
- Club Person of the Year: Sally Johnston
- Club of the Year: UOW Hockey Club
- Representative Sports Team of the Year: UOW Hockey Club, Division 1 Men
Kids’ Uni services exceeding national quality standards
UOW Pulse Children’s Services’ strong investment in professional learning over the past 12 to 18 months has paid off big time.
All four of our Kids’ Uni children’s centres have achieved a Exceeding National Quality Standard rating under the National Quality Framework.
This 100 per cent NQS success rate is highlighted by the fact the national average was only 33 per cent according to the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Pulse takes out top spot at Campus Link Awards
Vegan foods have proven a recipe for success for UOW Pulse.
UOW Pulse took out the award for the 'Best Food and Beverage Offering' at the 2018 Campus Link Awards. The national awards are run by the Tertiary Access Group and celebrate excellence in the Australian tertiary student services sector.
Pulse was recognised for efforts and success in delivering an extensive vegan menu at the UniBar and expanding the vegan product offering in the IGA.
Pulse also received Highly Commended awards in two categories:
• Best Marketing Campaign – UOW Pulse Rebrand
• Best New or Refurbished Building or Facility under $600K: UniBar Sustainability Refurbishment.
Kids' Uni has a new look.
Big news! Kids’ Uni have introduced a fresh brand identity and logo.
The new Kids Uni logo is fresh, bright and fun - bringing together all the things we love about our work! The font style is deliberately strong yet modern to convey the quality and professionalism of our teams and services as well as our focus on continuous training and improvement in delivering current best practice early education programs.
Kids Uni will continue to offer the same incredible child care services as always and we hope you and your family enjoy our new look and feel.